Common Adaptive Design Mistakes to Avoid
Adaptive websites are designed to adapt to varying devices and screen sizes. A solid web design firm can help you navigate the waters of adaptive design; however, it is helpful to know what mistakes to avoid when planning.
Here are some of the top mistakes you should avoid when creating an adaptive design:
- Too much stuff: Is your site loaded with too much content? What might be appropriate for a desktop could be deadly for a smartphone. Too much bloated content takes time to load on mobile devices; the majority of users will leave the site if it takes longer than 5 seconds to load. Make sure your web design firm makes your mobile site lean and quick so that users will engage with it!
- Too simple: Even though mobile device screens are smaller, users still want a solid experience. A user may go online on their laptop or desktop to shop for something, and then complete the process on their smartphone (or vice versa). You want the mobile version to function well and have the same key capabilities that the desktop version has.
- No photos: If you have a mobile commerce site, you need to have photos of the stuff you are selling! Make it easy for people to find what they want to buy and shelter them through the process. It is also helpful if to ensure users that your website checkout is secure in order to encourage the completion of the transaction.
- Clickable items are too large: Anything that can be clicked on a touch screen smartphone should be the size of a finger/thumb at a minimum to ensure users can click on them. Also, make sure there is enough space between icons so that users don’t easily click the wrong icon.
- Add a home screen icon: If a user likes your website that much to put it on their home screen, it helps your cause to have a pretty little icon they can remember you by. Users will appreciate it, and all in all, it is part of your branding.
The above items are key adaptive design mistakes you can avoid. Hire an experienced adaptive web design firm to help you navigate the landscape and create a functional site that drives leads to your business.